Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Current Projects

Welcome back!

    In today’s entry, I was hoping to go into further detail (but without revealing any spoilers!) about the projects I am currently working on.

    As I mentioned in my original post, I have been contributing my time to a volunteer based company for the past three or so years. The organization in question is named Missing Worlds Media. Our virtual studio is currently working on a superhero themed project entitled “City of Titans”, a new online game which will allow our players to go on fantastic adventures with characters of their own creation. Thanks to our volunteers tireless efforts and to a wildly successful Kickstarter campaign, we are hoping to have the game ready for Beta Testing by mid-2016.

    I had originally applied to Missing Worlds Media as a conceptual artist, but eventually transferred over to the Composition Department, where I am currently offering my talents as a writer. There, my duties have ranged from creating background stories for characters and landscapes, helping fellow writers with workloads and other admin-like duties.

    The various assignments I have done while working for MWM have taught me a lot about the writing process. On a few occasions, I was asked to use that knowledge to come up with writing exercises for other staff members. Those lessons were actually what sparked my interest for starting a blog on creative writing.


The following are only a few things I have learned while working at MWM:
  1. The importance of being organized. This was especially relevant to our project since we were dealing with material originating from multiple departments. I now have a healthy appreciation for tools such as templates, timelines and spreadsheets, all tools I use in my day-to-day work, but never really applied to my writing before.
  2. The importance of being clear. Miscommunication can happen regularly if no precautions are taken. This has taught me to be mindful of others, not to generalize and to use clear, precise terms when communicating my ideas.
  3. Teamwork. Working together is a necessity for a project this size, and I am glad to be a part of the team that I am on. Though I have worked on teams before, this was the first time I had applied teamwork to my writing, which was a unique experience.
  4. Seeing the development process. I have played my fair share of video games in the past. Working for Missing Worlds Media has given me the unique opportunity of seeing what goes on behind the curtain.

    I am truly grateful for the opportunity to work for Missing Worlds Media and for the time spent learning from the other writers. It has proven to me that patience and perseverance really does pay off, and that dream jobs are possible. Next time my work is displayed on their website, I will be sure to share it here as well. Furthermore, you may expect to see some guest writers from MWM in the future!

    In regards to my other projects, they are currently all in the early stages and not really worth mentioning at this point. As expressed in my earlier posts, I hope to eventually publish a book (or God forbid, a series of books), but I still have much to learn before I can take on such an endeavour.

Forever hopeful and grateful, until next time.

Cheers,



Patrick Osborne



Link to public site: http://cityoftitans.com/

These links are shared on the front page of my blog for easy access, for those interested in following the projects progress.
(edited on 2016-01-07)



No comments:

Post a Comment