Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

BOOT CAMP LESSON 1: Motivation

Welcome to BOOTCAMP!


As I mentioned in my original post, I have been writing content for Missing Worlds Media, a volunteer based company, for the past three or so years. While working with the Composition Department, I was asked to come up with some writing games for future writers as well as for our fan base. These exercises are what originally gave me the idea to create this blog.


So it is with great joy that I get to share these games with you now!


Lesson 1: Character Motivation


Today’s game is about being creative with a character's motivation.


In my previous post, “Getting to know the players”, I already discussed the various types and purposes characters may have in stories. An important thing that a writer needs to remember, is why the character wants to be there. Every character in a story should have a motivation, something that drives them forward, makes them want to risk it all, that gives them a reason to want to face the Conflict in the story. Simply put; motivation is what makes a character do what they do.


The goal of this exercise to practice writing a backstory for a character. To make things more challenging, you will be creating a backstory and motivation for characters that you did not come up with.


Rules:
  1. Below are 5 candidates, with only a name and a job assigned to them. Select ONE of the 5 photos to work with.
  2. Write three different backgrounds for the candidate you selected: Who is this person if they were a Superhero. Who is this person if they were a Super Villain. Who is this person if they were a Civilian.
  3. All 3 backgrounds must have a limit of 30 phrases each!
  4. Within each background, you must include WHO the character is, WHERE they are from, WHAT do they do, HOW do they do it, and most importantly WHY do they do it.


Candidates:


  1. Name: Saruwatari Profession: Male Model.
  2. Name: Tessa Profession: Child care.
  3. Name: Olaf Profession: Business man.
  4. Name: Melina Profession: Musician.
  5. Name: Marco Profession: Plumber.


When posting your separate bios, please do so as such:
  1. Who is this person as a Hero:
  2. Who is this person as a Villain.:
  3. Who is this person as a Civilian.:


         For those who aren’t afraid to share their entries, feel free to submit your backstories as a reply to this post. Remember, this is a game, so no posting bad comments about other peoples entries.


Hope you have fun giving this exercise a try. Until next time!


Cheers,


Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment