Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Current Projects Part 6


Welcome Back!


    This months “Current Projects” post was written during my (much needed) five day camping vacation! You can expect to see pictures in my future “Inspiration” posts. A lot of things have happened this month, and some time to just relax and unwind was truly appreciated. So lets get started!




    All around progress this last month was a challenge. This first obstacle I ran into was a serious case of bronchitis. My coughing fits were so bad, it kept not only me, but my entire family awake at night. My doctor had to prescribe me some new cough medicine and an asthma pump. The cold symptoms have since faded, but the coughing still lingers. Luckily the pump works to slow the coughing and is still good for another month.


    Though being sick may have slowed down my writing, it did give me an opportunity to concentrate on my reading! I finished a few more novels from my old collection, and just started a book given to us from my extended family (they are all avid readers). The book I just started is out of my comfort zone, so I am not sure how well I will get into the story (more on that next month).


    Another big change I have undergone recently was my job. As a few of you know, until recently, my job was being a clerk for the National Library and Archives of Canada. This job allowed me to absorb a lot of history and other interesting information. A few months ago, I had applied for a position in the Copyright department, hoping it would further help me in my writing career. Well my hard work finally paid off, as I received a notification two weeks ago saying I was getting the promotion! I will be starting officially next week, so I will give you all further information in my next update!


    Some progress was made on my work for Missing Worlds Media. The Villain Path was complete and submitted for review. A few corrections were suggested by fellow writers, which were then applied. Before I declare this path complete, I am waiting on the creation of a new character from another writer. Once this character is completed, I will include him/her within my storyline and will finally be ready for review from the Continuity department.


    Another, less glorious part of my job at MWM is reviewing content. Since the content we are working on comes from multiple writers, we must routinely review it in order to insure consistency. This means I had to look over the material I had written some time ago, and compare it to newer content written by other writers. It is a time consuming, yet necessary process. The bright side, is that I will be able to apply what I have learned from this process to my own writing projects.


Speaking of my own writing projects, this past month I worked on fleshing out characters and the setting. I added more details to my main character (Walker), one of his allies (Ana Fernandez), as well as the main villains. I also worked on the setting, looking into popular public domain characters or stories I could add to my settings history.


Working on the history then lead me to my Progression Tree. With a modification made to an earlier part of my storyline, my story has evolved from my initial sixteen chapters, to twenty-five chapters (and this is an incomplete version). I’m glad to see the more I learn about writing, the more my story progresses and seems to become more solid.


    Lastly, I have been expanding my horizons on social media. This is to get my name out there and increase my visibility to the general public. This is mainly a form of advertising, something I learned from the online course I took. The reason this is important, is because once I finally do have a book ready to be unleashed upon the masses, I will already have masses waiting for said book. You can find me on the following media:




This is all I have for this month. Thank you all for dropping by, reading my blog and for checking out my social media. Please share whenever possible, as every little bit of attention helps!


Cheers!

Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment