Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Current Projects part 20


Welcome back,


           This month’s update will be a short one. I still have so many projects on the go that I don’t know what to pay attention to first. Regardless, I managed to get some progress done on my writing, just nowhere near as much as I would have liked.


So without further ado, let’s take a look at what I have been doing this month.




           The first week of August was spent with the family, camping at our trailer at Lake Clear. During this time, I decided to not do any writing. Truth is, with all the work and responsibilities I had going on lately, I needed the break. Sometimes, taking a step back from a project can be more beneficial than constantly pounding away at it.


           That being said, I found other ways to work on ideas for my story. Before leaving for our vacation, I finally got myself a sculpting kit together. I had had an urge to start sculpting again for the past few months, so after fifteen years, I decided to take this opportunity to start up again.




Well, I can certainly say that my skills did not improve since college. My first attempt was a full figure of Torment, one of the henchmen working for the mastermind in my story. The result was too cartoonish for my taste, so I ended up scrapping him. However the process turned out to be a great learning experience! First, I learned that structure is key; if you don’t feel comfortable with the base frame, start over now. Because simply put, if the frame doesn’t work, no amount of clay will fix it. Get a good base or frame going, then proceed to the sculpting.


Which leads me to the second thing I learned about sculpting; it is both a good way of releasing creative energies and of forming ideas. Giving your ideas a physical form helps you better grasp some of the intricacies that compose them.




My second attempt was more successful. I decided to go smaller, so I did a bust rather than a full figure. I also decided to do a creature, so if it looks less than perfect it would be less of an issue than if I was trying to do a representation of a human being. It is still a work in progress, and is not a portrayal of any of my current characters, but I am already more satisfied with this attempt.


This side project has really helped me take a new approach to creating new material for my stories. I look forward to see what other ideas will come to me while sculpting.


But all good things must come to an end. After a well earned vacation, we came back home, and consequently back to our routine. Unfortunately, said routine is currently so overcharged, I can barely get any writing done. Between the renovations at home and colleagues at work taking their vacation, time to write has been short.


Regarding my story, I am still slowly chipping away at the character sheet for Vivian Winters. Though not much progress was made, I am happy with the direction the character is taking.  I should be able to complete her write up by the end of September at the latest.




As for work regarding Missing Worlds Media, a new update including lore content was released mid-August. It is a description about Scorpion, one of the main villain factions that will be found in the game. The article can be found on our Kickstarter page here:  




That is all I have for this month. Hard to believe this is my 20th progress update, meaning I have been at this for almost two years already. In closing, I want to thank my wife, my family and my friends for taking the time to visit my blog, and for being so supportive.


Until next time.


Cheers,


Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment