Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Inspiration Part 4 - Abandoned shack.


Welcome back!



    This months Inspiration post is based off of another abandoned location I randomly came across. This small yet eerie shack is not too far from the side of a road my family takes when going to our camp site. We have been driving past this location for over a year now, and it wasn’t until earlier this spring, when all the leaves had yet to grow, that we actually spotted it.


    Now I can’t exactly reveal where these pictures were taken because this structure is located on private property, so I have to keep the exact location secret.  If you figure out where it is, please respect the owner and ask for permission before inspecting the area.




Both of these pictures were taken at different times of the year. The first was in early May, as the local foliage had yet to fully bloom. The second was later during the summer, where you can see the forest had taken over the shack. We can better understand by looking at these pictures, why it was so easy to miss in the past.





    This small structure has three entrances, one of which is no longer accessible because of the collapsed roof. The main entrance that faces the road, still has a door attached to it, barely. Standing in front of the building, is what appears to be a telephone pole. I am not sure if this was its true purpose, since there are no phone lines area. The sole purpose of this pole now, seems to be to hold up the “Private property, do not trespass” sign.




    Here we get a better idea of what state the building is in. The tin roof in the back of the building has caved in after a branch fell on it.


    Here we see the inside and what is left of its contents. An old boiler, a few tools, some paint cans, and the most interesting object found here; an old tractor engine.


    Looking at a site like this, it reminds me of some thriller type stories. This area feels like the perfect location where a killer would take their victim; deserted and somewhat innocent looking. Thinking outside the box, I could also see this structure in a “coming of age” story or something of the like. The kind of place kids would run off to, maybe to play in or simply to hide from the world.


Hope you enjoyed today’s exploration. I look forward to posting more pictures of my future explorations! Until then, get out there and get inspired!


Cheers!

Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment