Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Friday, September 4, 2015

Inspiration Part 5 - Landmarks


Welcome Back!



This months Inspiration post comes straight from Chicago! During my stay in the windy city, I took well over five hundred pictures; everything from museums, buildings, landmarks, trains and so on. Now don’t worry, I won’t post all of them at once, I will be separating over several future posts.


Today’s posts will be different from what I have been doing previously, since this will focus on public areas such as landmarks, fountains and statues. The following pictures were taken in Millennium park and it’s surrounding areas. Of course, one cannot visit Millennium park in Chicago without seeing Cloud Gate, also known as “the big bean”.




    While walking from my hotel to the Art Institute Museum, a came across a few beautiful water fountains. Most notable was the Buckingham fountain, which was so big, it could be seen from several blocks away. Some were somewhat victorian style, making them contrast from the more modern fountain that was closest to the Cloud Gate. The modern one was made of glass bricks, and allowed overheated sightseers to get a nice cooling spray.




    The parks also had a large variety of statues. They ranged from historical figures, to decorative ornaments, to artistic expressions, with styles varying from victorian to modern.




 


 
 


    I loved every minute of exploring downtown Chicago, as I got to experience so many landmarks. Familiarizing oneself with public areas such as these is important for writing stories, as it can help you learn important historical backgrounds of the area, or help in gathering details for describing story settings.


In a situation like this, it is important to remember to not just look at your surroundings, but to experience them. Smells, sounds, tastes and sensations are also important information to remember, as they will come in handy when trying to describe the surroundings in your story. I personally will be using Chicago in a story, so when exploring, I tried noting everything I came across.


That is all for this months Inspiration post. I hope you enjoyed it, and I am looking forward to sharing more pictures from my trip!


Until next time,

Patrick Osborne

No comments:

Post a Comment