Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog! This is my journey, my first steps into the world of fictional writing. This blog is an online journal of sorts, where I share the progress of my work as well as what I have learned along the way. I hope you enjoy your time with me and that my experience may be of some use to you.

Friday, April 1, 2016

Current Projects 15



Welcome back!


    Spring is finally here, and after the last few heavy snowfalls we experienced, it’s arrival was greatly appreciated. Soon the temperature will rise and all of the snow in the neighborhoods front yards will turn to a muddy mess. This new season means nature starts blossoming anew, which can be a great source of inspiration for some writers.


But that is not what I will focus on this month!

In the spirit of April Fools, I decided to have each of my posts this month be inspired by Comedy. My focus will primarily be on learning more about humour, jokes and the principles behind comedic expression. Here are a few things I will be covering.

This month’s writing article will be about the various forms of Comedy and their effect on storylines.

In this months book review, I will be revising an author read last year; A. Lee Martinez. I figured it would be nice, since his style did have some humorous elements.

I have something special planned for my inspirational post. I will be sharing with you all something that always manages to make me smile (but I’m keeping it a secret for now).


Currently still working on a writing prompt tailor made for this month, but haven’t found anything yet. I may drop this if I put together an author interview together in time.


    In regards of my other writing projects, my last assignment from Missing Worlds Media has been completed. I have finished writing both the Plot Tokens and the Clue Tokens for the villain storyline and have submitted the final documents for review. So in terms of these assignments, I am simply waiting for feedback or possible corrections.


    I also received my next assignment, writing missions for a specific section of our world map. The setting our game will be taking place in is a city landscape which exist in a superhero universe. Inspired by the Silver Age of comics, this game world has been separated in sections which will be accessible to the players at different times during their heroic (or villainous) careers. Each of these sections will have their own theme, which in term will affect the type of missions found in that area. So this week I have been assigned an area and tasked to create missions appropriate for that location. Unfortunately, I cannot go into further details at this time.


    Now to discuss my own project. I am happy to report that my decision to reduce my blogging has paid off. I managed to get a lot more progress done compared to previous months.


My Time Line chart is now complete up to chapter four. This is probably my third version of this doc, since the original was lost due to a computer failure, and the second needed to be rewritten after the creation of several new characters and scenes. Regardless of how time consuming is it, this document is turning out to be really useful in terms of organizing my thoughts and story progress. I still need to get around to making a monthly writing article about the importance of making of one these types of documents.


Speaking of charts. Last month I mentioned starting work on a new worksheet entitled “Walker’s Tattoo Map” in order to keep track of all different markings on my protagonists body and their effects. Well, after several hours of brainstorming and balancing, the list is now complete. What is left is to create an actual map, showing which marking goes where.


Finally, probably the biggest news I have to report this month, is the completion of the first chapter of my book. I am sitting on it for now, and will return to it after some time passes in order to look at it later with a fresh pair of eyes. Once I am done looking it over, I will submit it for a first pass at editing. Though one chapter seems like a small achievement considering how long I have been working on this project, I must keep reminding myself that I made progress in other areas, such as character sheets, background research and fact checking. Funny how one year ago I was so proud after having completed my “hook” for the first chapter.


How time flies.


Eco fish vector icon


That is all I have to report for this month. Thank you all for dropping by and keeping up with my progress. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my lovely wife Linda, for taking the time to review my material and give me her feedback. And I would like to thank my readers, for taking the time to drop by.


Until next time!


Cheers,


Patrick Osborne

**All images in this post are considered public domain under the Creative Commons law (CC0)**

No comments:

Post a Comment